Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DIY Wall Decor



Hi guys! I have a simple DIY that is quick, cute, and good for the environment. All the supplies needed are everyday household items. Everyone uses toilet paper but what about the tube? I mean think about it. Every time you throw one away it's just wasted and it kills trees every time a new toilet paper roll is made! I actually stumbled upon some pictures of toilet paper tube art on pinterest when I was looking for some easy DIY wall decor like the one below. So I thought why not make some flowers? 

Picture from pinterest

The only supplies you need are a toilet tube, scissors, tape and some ribbon (optional). 


Cut the tube into 6 thin strips like this. Each tube makes about three 6-petal flowers.


Bend the strips into petal shape. (Left- round and unbent; Right- bent into flower petal).


Arrange the petals next to each other and tape them together one at a time. Tape them towards the middle of the flower. Repeat for all 6 (You can do a 5 petal flower too.)


And you're done! You can tape some ribbon around the center of the flower to add a pop of color. I don't actually display my flowers like this. I just put this up for the purpose of taking pictures. I was planning on arranging the flowers on the wall like the pinterest picture (without any hooks or string) but if you want to know how to do this display I just took some paper clips and twisted them to make double-sided hooks and I strung them on another color ribbon.


I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Have a great day! 

19 comments:

  1. Great idea.. I like it so much.. And so creative..:))
    All best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those! They would look adorable in my little girls room!!!
    Im your newest follower

    XOXO Tiffany

    http://www.mymakeupboxes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice and creative Kassica,..


    Indianbeautyforever.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty! I am going to use this when I host the next baby shower for a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great! I'd love to see how it ends up!

      Delete
  5. These would look adorable in a classroom too!!!

    Andie
    Andie's Traveling Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they would! It'd be an easy arts and crafts project for kids!

      Delete
  6. I've seen these ideas pinned on pinterest before and have always wanted to try one, your little flowers are too cute. I always forget though and throw my roll out.

    xoxo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha. I kept on forgetting too so I just wrote a note to myself. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, great minds think a like. I did this back in 2009, in my bathroom, I made an odd design using the "petals" pretty much all my decor in my bathroom was recycled cardboard, but I got so many compliments on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we're helping the environment and getting complimented on our designs! High five! :) I'd love to see what it looks like, do you have a post on it?

      Delete
  8. i love it! thanks for the cute DIY idea :)
    p.s. i'm your newest follower :)

    xo brie
    www.sophistifunkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats a super cute idea... i must try this *.*
    and hey do drop by my blog and check out the giveaways....

    Sangy
    www.lipglossaffairs.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! Found you on the Sunday Social

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think! I am now replying by email- If you'd like to get email responses all you have to do is change your profile settings to "show my email address." Otherwise, be sure to come back and check for a reply! :)